1974 MGB GT - Flame Red
£££ SOLD £££
Please click here for many more pics.
There’s nothing quite like an early 70s MGB GT. The perfect mix between 60s sportscar design and the refinements of the later cars. These cars are a fantastic investment, with prices dramatically rising all of the time.
This particular car is no exception, and I feel you’ll struggle to find a better one for this price. Having been with the previous owner for over 30 years, the car has been meticulously kept in the highest order. This history is supported with a large plastic storage box of bills, receipts, photographs and letters which account for all work undertaken. 12 months MOT with no advisories.
There is far too much to list here; but works over recent years include:
· Full bodywork restoration including front wings, door skins and full rear wings
· Full professional respray in Flame Red (Pillar box red!)
· Comprehensive structural restoration: new inner and outer sills, castle sections, floorpans, spring hangers, battery boxes and more (work undertaken by MG Specialists, and documented in photographs)
· Fully rebuilt Stage 2 engine by Oselli Ltd, the well-reputed MG specialists. 1950cc, fully lightened and balanced, big valve head, high-lift cam, unleaded conversion, lightened flywheel, high-output oil pump, K&N air filters, Aldon distributor – Oselli claim a 40% increase in power.
· Fully rebuilt gearbox and overdrive unit
· Stainless steel exhaust
· Kenlowe fan
· Gas rear shocks
· 12v battery conversion
· Hi-torque starter motor
· New water pump
· New alternator
· Full leather interior with new carpet set
· Moto lita steering wheel
· Webasto sunroof sourced and fitted
· Fully rebuilt suspension – a great deal of which has been powder-coated
· New Minilite style wheels in fantastic condition
· Halogen headlamp conversion
The above only scrapes the surface of what’s been done. If you’re after a well-sorted car for touring, this is the car for you. The uprated engine is incredibly smooth and excellent in stop-start traffic.The ‘feel’ of the car, both in terms of build quality and the way that the car drives, clearly shows that the standard of work carried out has been very good indeed.
The car fires up beautifully idles healthily. It pulls strongly and sounds great. The car rides particularly well and the servo assisted brakes are also very good! The car is properly soundproofed so doesn’t clatter and bang like so many BGTs do – it’s a really nice thing to drive. Oil pressure is spot-on, and the car does not overheat. A Kenlowe electric fan has also been fitted. Overdrive is fitted, and functions flawlessly. An oil cooler is fitted, along with a spin-on oil filter conversion.
Bodily, the car is very nice indeed. Door and wing bottoms are all solid, as are the wing-top seams, and scuttle panel. The car has clearly been repainted professionally– it has a very deep finish and a fantastic shine. There are absolutely zero structural issues.
The interior is in fantastic order. The original door cards are present, and the dashboard is in good order. A sliding sunroof has been fitted, which works nicely and doesn’t appear to leak. The engine bay is very clean and tidy, and a new wiring loom was fitted when the car was fully rebuilt.
It would take me a great deal of time to detail everything about the car, so do please come and view it and see for yourself.
All in all, this is an absolutely stunning little car that is absolutely ready to be used and enjoyed. You won’t find many cars that have been finished to this standard. I travel all over the country to view these cars and this one is particularly good.